Re: [MacPerl] Problems with cgi-lib.pl and Web*

At 7:01 AM 1/16/97, Per Christian Lied wrote:
>I have made a script, using MacPerl and ci-lib.pl, which is supposed to
>recieve a file among other data from a form.
>I have specified the multipart/form-data enctype inside the <FORM> tag.
>
>The script replies "Boundary not provided: probably a bug in your server",
>and then quits.
>
>I get this message when using Web*2.0 (which is supposed in some way or
>another to accept file upload), using the Microsoft Information Server on
>our NT gives me no problems at all.
>
>Does anyone know if this is due to a incompatibility
>cgi-lib.pl<->MacPerl/Web* (characters etc.), or is it just Web* that
>doesen«t handle this kind of reply?
>
>I would be very happy if someone could help me with this problem.
>
>Per Christian Lied,
>pk@pluto.wit.no

I have dealt with this problem (or rather avoided it.)
Because of the limitations on the amount of data you can pass through a cgi
apple event, you can't realistically expect to do file uploads via cgi's.
Instead, Web*2.0 comes with a (server) plug-in that will handle file
uploads (I don't think there are any MOS-API plug-ins that will do this
yet, only Web*-API 1.1.)
There should be docs on how to set this up included with Web*2.0 so I won't
go into details.  I have found this to be a quick and easy solution.

Another possibility that I had thought about but don't have time for right
now is to write a plug-in to replace the MacPerlCGI glue.  This could be
done in such a way that you could pass more data to the cgi than through
the normal mac-cgi mechanism.  An added benefit would be greater speed.  I
don't know much about OSA, but it seems that you could have the plug-in
invoke the MacPerl cgi's directly as OSA scripts - hopefully more
performance enhancement (and threads?).  Has anyone else consider options
like these?  Does anyone have such a plug-in?

John

John Kirkham
Global-X-Change Communications Inc.
Sys. Admin./Tech. Support/ Programmer