Re: [MacPerl] running a macperl script from another machine

guinn@mail.utexas.edu (Tim Guinn) writes:
>There was a security hole in the FTP part of NetPresenz 4.0,
>but the problem no longer exists (according to Peter Lewis,
>the author) in 4.0.1+
>
>NetPresenz does support "process control (launching, listing
>or quitting applications)". [from the documentation]
>
>As the docs warn, though: "Be afraid.  Be very afraid"

We use NetPresenz to allow people to connect from home. Each account can be
configured to allow access from only specific IP address/mask combinations.
Don't have the docs at hand to see whether such limitations can be applied
to "process control"

also note Peter Lewis years ago wrote another program for this:
>Script Daemon 1.0.1 - free
>
>Script Daemon allows you to telnet to your Mac and enter AppleScript
>commands. Only the owner can log in (using the Owner name & password).
>How useful this is depends very much on what AppleScript capable
>programs you have, but its pretty clear that there will be more of
>them as time goes on.  With the scriptable Finder, Script Daemon is
>almost useful.
>
>1.0.1 is a maintenance release, mainly to update the U&G library.
>
>Script Daemon requires System 7, AppleScript, and MacTCP.

now to return to your scheduled MacPerl discussion

Danny