Re: [MacPerl] Porting Un*x perl scripts to MacPerl for CGI

At 17:37 -0500 3/6/97, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>No, it doesn't use Mac file types, and it would be a bad idea if it did.
>Mac file types are completely unreliable, since they are not enforced by
>the OS, but are set by whatever program happens to set them, and can be
>changed to the wrong thing all sorts of ways.  I have lots of text files on
>my disks that aren't TEXT, and some TEXT that aren't text.  I haven't
>checked PDF's, but if you say they are TEXT, they are yet another example
>of badly typed files.

After massaging a PDF which has been mangled by the download process as
typically found in web browsers to be *correct*, the file is type 'PDF ',
creator (whatever it is...I always have to find one or the app and check,
when I'm fixing one).  After fixing, they can be double clicked, which
launches Reader or LE (or even the full Acrobat, if anyone actually buys
the thing).

   --John