Re: [MacPerl] crash in debug mode(2) (fwd)

Mark Manning/Metrica wrote:

> I'm not sure why the error2.  However, when you up'd the
> memory, did you bring up the "About this Macintosh..."
> window to make sure you gave it enough extra memory?  I
> know 4096 seems like a lot of memory, but if your program
> is large, it could be you still do not have enough memory
> for everything.
>
> (You probably DO have enough memory allocated, but it's
> always good to check.  :-) )

I know this isn't exactly MacPerl specific, but anyway...

There's a handy memory checking utility freely available on Info-Mac,
called Ramadillo.

It can show you, per running program, not only how much memory is
allocated, but also *how much of it is actually being used*.

The display is updated up to a few times per second.

It's very useful to watch how MacPerl's memory usage varies while
executing scripts. If you see that almost all of MacPerl's memory is
being used, one of the next things you'll see is probably a crash.

In short: this utility will allow you to track down crashes related to a
memory shortage in MacPerl.

--
		Bart Lateur
		Gent (Ghent, Gand),