Re: [MacPerl] Shuck crashing

"Ramesh-CRR026 Ramakrishnan"
    <ramesh-crr026_ramakrishnan@penmsmail.pen.comm.mot.com> writes:
In message <n1337626190.48668@penmsmail> you write:
>Shuck crashes on my system too. I noticed that it consumes a lot of CPU
>cycles, even when it is in the background,

That's interesting, I'll look into this.

>Is there a particular reason for this behaviour,

There shouldn't be. I probably set the sleep time too short.

>and is this related to its tendency to crash?

Extremely unlikely.

>BTW, I'm using Shuck 1.0.

So, to summarize, you think that a version 1.0 of a program (which is now at
1.2) crashes too frequently, but you can't be bothered to upgrade to the latest
version? :-) It's going to be a bit difficult for me to fix the version on your
disk :-)

To be fair, Shuck 1.2 is not available separate from the 5.1.4 betas, but 1.1
is on ftp://err.ethz.ch/pub/neeri/MacPerl/Shuck_11.sit.bin and contains
significant reliability imporvements vs. 1.0

>I would like to see Shuck crash less.  Am I atypical in having it lock up
>my machine so frequently?

Shuck has never crashed for me since version 1.1. 1.0 was unreliable under low
memory conditions, and it consistently *provoked* low memory conditions.

Matthias

-----
   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground