Re: [MacPerl] Testing a form page..

Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:

> According to Amitava Basu:
> >
> > I have also been trying to configure MacHTTP version 2.2.1 but
> > everytime I run the server it comes back saying the TCP IP is not
> > loaded.  I have done all that is possible switching the networking
> > to Open Transport Networking.  After I reboot the computer
> > and when I try to open the TCP/IP panel, a dialog appears saying
> > Open Transport is not loaded!  When I try to open Appletalk
> > the dialog appears saying AppleTalk inactive.  When I go back to
> > the chooser to switch on Appltalk, it does not work.  Can you
> > identify my problem.  Can you tell me what version of Open
> > Transport you are using or if I need to upgrade my open transport.
> >

> You should download Quid Pro Quo (QPQ) first.  MacHTTP is
> old and does not run well on some systems and the newer
> OSs.  QPQ is more up-to-date and can handle the various
> OSs.  QPQ can be found easily by going to Yahoo!.
>
> Next, what you should do is to go to the Extensions Manager
> and make sure you have the following:
>
> 1. All of the Open Transport modules.
> 2. TCP/IP
> 3. MacDNR
> 4. Modem
> 5. PPP
>
> All of these should be turned on in the Extensions Manager.
>
> If you do not have any or all of these, Apple computer
> keeps all of these things at their site.  I suggest using
> Anarchie to go to the site or a mirror site and download
> all of them.
>
> Then, after installation and reboot, try switching OT from
> looking at the modem to looking at AppleTalk.
>
> Side note:  Anyone else notice that if you use OT with
> Netscape that after a while, if you download a lot of
> files, that OT slowly but surely stops working and hangs up
> the modem?  I've switched back to using FreePPP v2.5.6
> because of this.

  I downloaded Quid Pro Quo version 2.1 which is a freeware.
It says that I must have Open Transport 1.3 to run the software.
It comes with MacOS 8.  Unfortunately in India we are way
behind and OS 8 is not available.  Not even 7.6.  The problem
is that there are only a few macs in India.  Well, some wrong
policy decision has led to this and Apple has no market what
so ever here.  Even the softwares are way overpriced.

I went to Apple Software site and found the listing of 1996
downloading options for OT 1.1.2.  That's the current one!
Will it work with QPQ 2.1?  Can you tell me from where I
can download OT 1.3 ?

Regards
Amit