Re: [MacPerl] Troublesome CGIs

At 21.36 1998.04.13, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>If you really need to do this right now, then probably the best thing you
>can do on a MacOS machine is to use Frontier rather than MacPerl. Frontier
>is already threaded.

Anathema!  ;-)

>Alternatively, there's MkLinux or LinuxPPC, but as Chris and I have both
>discovered, the new threaded Perl, 5.004_63, doesn't quite work right.
>(The "poor man's'' threading of fork/exec works just fine, of course)

But you don't need threading to do what he needs under Unix, I think; he
probably just needs to call the perl interpreter multiple times at the same
time.  MachTen (Unix running on top of Mac OS) and WebTen (Apache w/ perl
[not MacPerl!] running on top of Mac OS) might be able to handle it as
well.

So there are ways to still use Perl to do what you want with your current
hardware, and in some cases, software.  But MacPerl simply cannot execute
more than one thing at one time.  Another possibility would be to have
multiple MacPerls on one machine that can handle CGI requests, which would
work similarly to how it works on Unix right now; but this would require
some black magick, and quite a bit of work.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])