Re: [MacPerl] Mac OS X / Carbon

At 11:27 -0700 98/05/13, Mark F. Murphy wrote:
>At 8:22 AM -0700 5/13/98, Chris Nandor wrote:
>>Just some semi-random WWDC thoughts (less random than those who have said
>>that Rhapsody is cancelled, of course).
>
>With POSIX under the hood of MacOS X, a full blown perl should be possible.

Many things are possible; likely, now... likely is a whole 'nother kettle of
worms.

>Perl should be able to be a more equal peer as opposed to just an app
>environment as it is now.

Perl seems to me to be a pretty "equal peer" with much of the current Mac OS.
Better would be appreciated.  I would not, however, want to give up the
interface, integrated syntax checking & debugger support, connection to a nifty
editor, GUI toolbox calls, etc.  That is, even if *ix perl is readily available
under MacOS X (note this is not Mac OS IX; I guess they want to avoid alluding
to POSIX any more than they have to :-) I would not want to just "move over"
and use it.

Then again, perhaps the Mac aspects could be included as standard perl modules.
That would be cool.

>We'll have to see how MacOS X actually shapes up.

As one who has been watching (sometimes from dead center of the action) since
Copland days, I will be just fascinated to see how the current plans actually
turn out ;^)

Vicki
---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066