Re: [MacPerl] We're all Macperlers on this bus...

At 15:26 -0400 98/06/15, Strider wrote:
> To be honest, I think that idea has been a long time coming. I love this
> group- it's helpful, to the point, polite, it gives quick responses, and
>is
> all the things such a group should be. But the inability to ask UNIX
> questions has had me up many vexing hours, for the reason that no other
> place is any better than that long research.

Just as a by the way, before we get too far, I'm not so much recommending
that we start asking _Unix_ questions as _Perl_ questions :-) Making the
distinction "If it ain't Mac it's Unix" caters to the oft-assumed "Perl is
Unix" assumption.  I'd like to change that worldview a bit ;-).

That is, Perl is Perl.  My primary desired criteria  for this list
(shorter, I know this is getting really boring ;-) is "Mac && Perl".

Since a lot of people who meet the criteria "Mac && Perl" may not know much
about Unix (per se) we should keep the "Unix and only on Unix" questions
_way_ down and muchly offline (how difficult is it to set up a sublist of
folks who have both backgrounds? That would be cool.  Really low traffic :-)

I'm not convinced it should be out of line to _ask_ such questions,
however; just phrase them as "I'm running my script under Unix after
writing it on MacPerl so here's my question and I'll take my answer off the
air".  There's a fine old tradition of "gathering responses and posting a
summary to the group" that we would do well to employ :-)

When a MacPerl script crosses that fine networked line to run on a Unix (or
NT? gasp!) machine, or talks to a Unix server, or even if it stays within
the Mac environment forever, but the question is a _Perl_ question and not
Mac specific (only pertains on a Mac), I'd like to recognize the fact that
the script was written (and the question asked) by one of us fine
upstanding you can take my Mac when you pry my cold dead fingers off the
mouse MacPerl people. And not send that stalwart member of our happy little
rainbow-tinged community off alone and unarmed into the cold world of
"other venues".

treading dangerously off the Mac path...
stepping on butterflies?...
dunno where to go from here (but Matthias may prefer that I go somewhere
quiet for a while :-)

V.

---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066