Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl files creator code

At 11:43 AM -0700 on 7/30/98, you wrote:

>At 09:30 -0700 98/07/30, Jerry Stratton wrote:
>I'm not even going to be readily convinced that output files are files that
>this App (MacPerl) doesn't use... perl reads input and creates output.
>That _is_ what it does. :-)

Well, if you use "creates output" as part of your definition of "uses", then I'll stand by my statement: it is not uncommon for applications to create output with a different creator.

>However, by my first understanding of the discussion, i.e. the context
>within which I made the statement, it is very unusual for Apps to write
>their documents with a different creator ID.  For example, everything in my
>Eudora Folder is CS0m.  (Except the log files and I don't know why not).

Go ahead and save this e-mail message. Unless you have specifically told Eudora to do otherwise, it will save it as a SimpleText file.

Why not the log files? Because they were meant to be read, and Eudora's designers decided that Eudora was not the best application to display a log file to the human being on the other end.

>But even talking output files (not scripts), forcing one creator type seems
>unflexible.  So I need to ask, if it matters to you, why not just use
>MacPerl::SetFileInfo to get exactly what you want every time?

Because I don't write everything that I use?

Technically, it *currently* forces one creator type. I'd like it (and it looks like at least one other person mentioned this) to let *me* choose which creator type gets forced. MacPerl doesn't care about creator type when you specify a file as an input file; the only point where creator type matters is when you don't want MacPerl to use it.

What is the benefit of leaving MacPerl as the owner of output files?

Jerry

jerry@acusd.edu                                           http://www.acusd.edu/~jerry/
"It's too bad we don't have a can to listen to to get back to San Diego," said Voniece. "What do we make in San Diego, anyway?"
"Tourists, I think," said Arthur. He brightened. "Do they sell tourists in cans?"
"I think they do," said Voniece, "but they're awfully expensive."
--The Shopping Cart Graveyard