[MacPerl] accessing audio

I have a project now to capture the audio from a short course on
floating point arithmetic and make it available on CD-ROM.  The
big idea is to make the foils or slides accessible with the sound
bites that pertain to them.  User controls like selecting which
foil to see and hear should be easy to use and easy to create.

Polished presentation would require much more work than I want to
put in, so I'm seeking to build an appropriate framework that can
be used to make a crude record of the typical talk with slides.
Matthias gave such a talk about his mechanisms for getting at the
Toolbox routines at SFPUG, so I asked him if that could be used
with QuickTime to do the job.  He thought so, but primarily because
QuickTime was strong enough.

I've never made a QT movie, so I'm not clear about whether it would
work either for the viewer or for the producer.  Would each foil be
another QT movie?  If I have the PostScript for the foils, can I
make each one nearly full screen and use QT to play the sound track?
How much space will an hour of audio consume?  Will MPEG-2 do a
better job of compressing the audio while delivering clear speech?

What is the right tool for presenting such material on a Mac? Or on
a WinTel box.  QT is available for both, right?  What else is?
Shockwave?  Premier?

Dick

Richard Karpinski  dick@cfcl.com  http://shell2.ba.best.com/~karpinsk
6521 Raymond Street, Suite 77, Oakland, CA 94609-1126   (510) 658-3797