Re: [MacPerl] app glue alpha online

At 10.30 -0400 1998.09.18, Dave Johnson wrote:
# I've gotten the sample working. So I've decided to see how the
# droplet works by dropping Eudora on it.
#
# The first thing I want to do is to Launch Eudora or see if it
# is running, this requires:
#
# #!perl -wl
# use Mac::Apps::Launch;
# my @apps = qw(CSOm);
#
# if (!IsRunning(@apps)){
#  LaunchApps([@apps], 1) || warn($^E);
# }

Well, launching and switching to front is already done by the glue in the
background.

  #!perl -w
  use Mac::Glue::Eudora;
  my $e = new Mac::Glue::Eudora;

  $e->switch(1);  # switch Eudora to front, 1 is already default, so
                # this call is not necessary

  $e->do_something();  # will now launch Eudora if it is not already running

  $e->switch(0);  # don't switch for next event call

  $e->do_something_else();

# Now, IMHO I would rather "see" Launch, Quit, IsRunning as part of
# the Eudora package and not have to deal with the Creator ID of Eudora
# just to get it running.  Something like:
#
# Mac::glue::Eudora::IsRunning();
# or
# Mac::glue::Eudora::Launch();
#
# This is clearer (to me) that I am launching Eudora.
#
# Would this kind of thing have to be hand coded in or
# once again am I missing something?

If there is a real demand, I could have the glue use the Mac::Apps::Launch
functions as methods.

  $e->launch();     # launch and switch
  $e->launch(1);    # launch and switch
  $e->launch(0);    # launch and do not switch
  $e->is_running();
  $e->quit();       # should be provided already in aete

But now that I think of it, these should probably be set apart in some
ways, in case there is already an event by these names.

  $e->_launch();
  $e->ae_launch();
  $e->glue_launch();

Opinions?  What do you like?

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])