Re: [MacPerl] app glue alpha online

At 10:56 AM -0400 9/18/98, Chris Nandor wrote:

>  $e->launch();     # launch and switch
>  $e->launch(1);    # launch and switch
>  $e->launch(0);    # launch and do not switch
>  $e->is_running();
>  $e->quit();       # should be provided already in aete
>
>But now that I think of it, these should probably be set apart in some
>ways, in case there is already an event by these names.
>
>  $e->_launch();
>  $e->ae_launch();
>  $e->glue_launch();
>
>Opinions?  What do you like?

I think it depends on "where the user is coming from." AppleScript/Frontier
users are accustomed to having to start an application before they can use it.
Having the application automatically start when you ask it to do something
just seams to be a little strange to me. But then I've been scripting in
Frontier. A user such as myself is going to look for a "launch" verb and
is going to be a bit confused unless it is documented that the app will
start when you call it to do_something.

Given that this is an "extension" to Perl, it should probably be implemented
in a manner consistent with Perl. So if I think about the limited experience
I have with PERL on Unix. When I called sendmail, I have open/close a
handle to
sendmail. This is somewhat similar to "launching/quiting"

What do more experienced PERL users think?

If I had my choice I'd prefer the "Mac::Apps::Launch functions as methods"
approach.

Dave Johnson[Dj]
daveamy@comcat.com or dave_johnson@ieee.org
PGP fingerprint: [EA22 8F28 7C0A 4F26 E909  1D47 5A77 6666 34FE 6ED9]