Re: [MacPerl] Installing modules.

At 5:03 PM -0400 9/17/98, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 16.41 -0400 1998.09.17, Dave Johnson wrote:
>>Ok, I found the problem, my Internet config had ".pm" mapped to
>>Grafconverter.
>>But why is the line endings fix necessary? This is a module developed on a
>>Macintosh and can only be run on a Macintosh. Where do the line endings get
>>mucked up?
>>
>>(and what is the purpose of the included "make.pl" file?
>
>I put my modules on CPAN.  The only way that they can be integrated into
>CPAN for the purposes of indexing, searching, etc. (in things like
>cpan.perl.com) is if they are in the native newline format, which is Unix.
>It is the job of the Mac software to translate it properly.

Aha! So your are trying to work with a standard. Standards are great, everbody
should have one.

I understand what you are trying to do and understand why you are doing it.
(But it is not very clear to us "newbies")

As I re-read chapter 11 of "Power and Ease" I see it would have worked exactly
as stated, except for the problem of my InternetConfig mapping ".pm" to
GraphicConverter (and thus it was not a TEXT file). All is less muddy now.

I just checked my wife's powerbook (with a fresh copy of internet config)
It also has ".pm" mapped to 'GraphicConverter-Bitmap from xv'. This could be
(IS!) very confusing for new users.

Thanks

Dave Johnson[Dj]
daveamy@comcat.com or dave_johnson@ieee.org
PGP fingerprint: [EA22 8F28 7C0A 4F26 E909  1D47 5A77 6666 34FE 6ED9]