Re: [MacPerl] cgi problem

Steven J. Stratford wrote:

> I'm responding to my own posting here, since there were no further comments
> on the problem in the last couple of days.
>
> Has anyone running a WebStar server seen the problem I described below and
> found a way to work around it? Better yet, has anyone found a way to fix
> it? I don't remember it happening when I was running MacOS 7.6, but I'm
> running 8.1 on my server now. I wonder if there's a relationship--perhaps
> the "CGI Script" extension needs updating for OS 8.1? I'm grasping at
> straws, because I can't use MacPerl/CGI scripts as production CGI's as long
> as they keep getting themselves into this un-quittable mode.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> --Steve

We do use WebStar and Macperl for CGI's as well as some cron processes that
called
Macperl scripts and yes we have seen the same behaviour,
after much testing and sitting and looking at the server and MacPerl. What apears
to be
happenning is that when Macperl receives multiple calls (CGI and other perl
scripts) at
the same time one or more of the CGI's hung.

The way we resolved this was to migrate all the CGI's to applescript at the time.
As we
needed to run some data processing cron processes. However what we have done now
is to write a broker CGI that handles all the requests and then calls modules
specific to
the task it was called to perform.

This can also cause problems if the CGI is a .acgi as WebStar willl send mutliple
calls
to the same CGI and hang, the way to resolve this is to make it a plain .cgi and
Webstar
will queue the CGI calls and everyone is happy.

There is also of course the now infamous 32k issue with Webstar and Macperl but
this
has been covered in much more detail in previous threads and you can read about
this
in the mailing list archives at

http://www.binary.net/dturley/macperl/search.html

Hope this helps.