Re: [MacPerl] questions about glue

At 17.16 -0400 1998.10.05, Vincent Nonnenmacher wrote:
>1) it would be much cleanr to have the use simple and use launch in glue.pm
>not counting on a version
>unless I don't know about a version parameter in use ?
>so more simple to keep thoses dependencies up to date without rehacking
>Glue.pm when you make a newer version.

During recent development of Mac::Glue I made changes in Simple and Launch,
so those versions are required for proper use of Mac::Glue.  If Mac::Glue
did not require those versions, and you had older versions, it will not
work properly.  Hence, the versions are required.

>2) I guess that making pod part for specific suite for types,class and
>construct will come soon this is what missing me the most for the moment
>but understanding the appX.pm glue file is usefull without much
>documentation (no pun intended here indeed ;-))

I added quite a bit of documentation into each "appX.pm" file this time
around.  More is needed, but each available method is in the POD, with all
the parameters it can accept.  That is mostly what I am concerned with.
The classes have yet to be documented, of course; this is important and
will be done.  But David Schooley is reworking his parser and I am going to
rewrite my droplet code to conform to his parse module that he's working
on, so I am not going to touch that anymore until I move to the new
framework.

>3) I always played with scriptdebugger with some code paterns like
>   making an object ref
>   getting its properties in a record oriented fashion
>
>try to path that record for modifications (attributes propereties)
>and feed the new record in place for this object ref
>
>and when this doen;t work patch them attributes by attributes using that ref.
>
>It would then be very interesting to have you helping translating such
>regular applescripting practices to their Glue equivalent, making further
>documentation handy for a lot of scrpters.
>
>I'm now try to make a Glue file for the Apple Media Tool and I wanted to
>use Perl and Glue but I'm fighting against resorting to pure text
>appleevent chunck to do the works because I'm not very confortable with the
>Glue implied idiom.

Well, I am not exactly sure what you mean here, sorry.  :)

>Perhpas we coudl find an application that a lot of people are using (or can
>download) wichi have a clean Object Model structure and use it as the basis
>for such small pattern/problem list of hints ?
>( i download Glue and minstall it in fact when I saw your previous post on
>closing a windows the new hightech geek way )!
>
>I was thinking about Xpress which have a (quite) nice implementation of the
>object model even if they tend to use whole attributes records as separate
>properties instead of making them available separately.
>
>I don't think the finder is a good candidates because their object model
>isn't very orthogonal.
>

>Styled Text editor sound a good candidate also as its is very scripatble.

Yes, maybe.  I'll give it some thought.  Is Styled Text Editor freeware?
The candidate must be freely available if it were to be used as a guideline.

And maybe this is something someone else can tackle: taking an app,
building the glue, maybe making slight changed to deficiencies in the glue,
then constructing a significant set of examples.

If there is something else specific that you want to see in this thing, let
me know.  You seem to be concerned with the syntax used currently; if you
have ideas and suggestions, let me know.  The more ideas, the merrier!  :)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])