Re: [MacPerl] beginner perl questions pls

On 11/10/98, Jay Bedsole took the time to write:
>Vicki writes:
>
>> Once again, I desparately wish for this to be a list where
>> _MacPerl users_ can ask questions that might, just might, be
>> considered _Perl_ questions.
>
>and
>
>> Why should we throw our new friends, other Macophiles just like
>> us, to the wolves of comp.lang.perl.misc just because their
>> question isn't stretched to make it Mac OS specific?

	This is only the 4th post that I've read, after subscribing to the
list, yesterday. However, even though I'm an ignorant fool - with respect
to PERL in general, and MacPERL, in particular - I'd like to chime in:

	I bought the "Camel" book about a year ago. I made it all the way
to about page 100 before realizing that I didn't have UNIX access and
wasn't going to understand what Randall was trying to teach/say.
	About a month ago, I bought "PERL for Dummies". I like the Dummies
format, in that I'm a very visual thinker and their "USA Today" style of
short sections, cartoons, and notes helps me "get it". Once again, however,
I still came away without a real understanding of what was going on.
	Last week, I bought "MacPERL power and ease" - Vicki's book. Thus
far, I've made it to page 67 and think that I have a chance of
understanding PERL this time. I bought the book primarily because I
couldn't figure out how to "call" the MacPERL intrepreter from within my
local drive. In UNIX the scripts are preceeded by the "/usr/bin/perl" path.
Nowhere in the MacPERL application, docs, or various archives could I find
the complimentary path for Macs, when trying to create or run a script
locally. To me, that (and some further explanation of PERL) was worth the
$40!

	My main reason for wanting to learn PERL is for Web/CGI purposes.
I've been creating commercial Web sites for just over 4 years. I've worked
with a programmer (18 years experience, works mostly in "C") and paid him
several thousands of dollars over the last 2 years to create even the
simpliest (as well as fairly complex) programs and scripts. I know enough
to tell him what features that I want, but that's it.

	If this list is geared towards MacPERL as a Mac "product" and/or
for MacPERL as a means of manipulating Mac behaviour, please tell me now
and I will unsubscribe. These are not my needs, ultimately.
	I was the one that posted about getting a "Premature end of script
headers" error in the freeware PERL script that I'm trying to run for the
client page. I posted the question AFTER doing searches in CPAN and the
list archives, with no results.
	I respect Vicki's time and efforts towards the book and this list.
However, I need to be able to ask questions about PERL, in general - and
not about MacPERL, specifically.

Patrick Beart

patrick@WebArchitecture.com       503-281-4147      Portland, OR
Web Architecture:   http://www.WebArchitecture.com

* Founding MEMBER *  Internet Professionals Northwest. (www.ipn.org)
* MEMBER * Webmaster's Guild/ Association of Internet Professionals