Re: [MacPerl] beginner perl questions pls

Vicki writes:

> Once again, I desparately wish for this to be a list where
> _MacPerl users_ can ask questions that might, just might, be
> considered _Perl_ questions.

and

> Why should we throw our new friends, other Macophiles just like
> us, to the wolves of comp.lang.perl.misc just because their
> question isn't stretched to make it Mac OS specific?

Perhaps this list **IS** different, but I have seen other lists
try to relax their charters with disastrous consequences. I've
seen two recurring phenomena (1) the experts leave the list
because they become bored and/or frustrated and (2) the dialog
burst into flames much more frequently because the listers are
less mature and less intimidated. And, yes, I think intimidation
can be a good thing. Without it, no one would ever read a manual
first...

> ("Look in the FAQ, dummy" doesn't quite follow Larry's ultimate
> rule of Perl style, c.f. The Camel, p. 550)

That's my premise, BTW. I think if you invite just any kind of
question, you'll see a lot more of these kinds of responses...

JMHO

However, having said all that, personally, I don't care what
questions are asked on this list; be they MacPerl specific,
generic perl, or "what's your favorite color?"

Mr. Flexible (jay)