Re: [MacPerl] beginner perl questions pls

At 14:20 Uhr -0800 09.11.1998, Vicki Brown wrote:
>Once again, I desparately wish for this to be a list where _MacPerl
>users_ can ask questions that might, just might, be considered
>_Perl_ questions.

Yes. Why don't people who don't want to answer to newbie questions just
simply ignore them? Traffic on this list is not that high that this isn't
possible (yet).

>sigh.  Sometimes I think we need another list.

No. At least not if this means to separate the experts from the newcomers.
I don't know how to push MacPerl if experts won't help newcomers.

And from my own experience, *sometimes* it is extremely hard to figure out
the meaning of the manuals for people who never had an exposure to the UNIX
world (not everytime though: Chris' "Re: [MacPerl] Perl's splice function,
a newbie query", for instance, is a case in point, and he did quite a nice
job to exemplify each and every question, while not taking to much time and
politely pointing out to refer to the manual or to try it out on your own.
Not to mention the many other contributions by Chris', of course...).

My half-penny (although I don't like this kind of meta-discussion).

__Peter Hartmann________

Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan

e-mail:
hartmann@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp (preferred)