Re: [MacPerl] macCPAN

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Chris Nandor wrote:

> At 15.05 -0500 1998.12.22, David H. Adler wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 12:21:56PM -0600, Matthew Langford wrote:
> >> How about this?  MacCPAN loads a list of Mac-compatible modules from CPAN
> >> Testers, or from another page built from CPAN Testers.  By this, I mean it
> >> shows up in MacCPAN if CPAN Testers marks it okay on Macs.  Perhaps upon
> >> highlighting the module, its summary information shows up in an info panel
> >> out to the side.  You could select "get the readme for this item".  Or if
> >> you double-click it, then...
> >
> >Between losing my mind and the *evil* connection I have here at the
> >office, I haven't had time to pick apart Matthew's suggestions, but I
> >think the proposal sounds *very* interesting...  Am I the only one?
>
> No, you're not.  But all of it rests on being able to automate the process
> first, on the Macs.  Then we can look into putting an index on CPAN or
> something, and then we can look into a GUI frontend, etc.

I liked the _general_ gist of Matthew's suggestions myself. I also think
Chris laid out the priorities quite well.

The actual challenge here is how do we automate this whole process for the
hypothetical MacPerl user who's got the Internet connection, but doesn't
have MPW and/or CW Pro and/or ToolServer and so forth. Just the connection
and the basic MacPerl application distribution. If it was a question of
stringing together existing stuff for the folks already capable of fixing
up XS modules for Mac use it would be much less of a challenge...

In terms of handling the Makefile.mk, well, Matthias did the work to
convert dmake to an MPW tool. I suspect that we may also be looking at
doing some coding to convert dmake to a scriptable app. Then, maybe
Mac::Glue... ?

Arved