Re: [MacPerl] Quick Question

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 04:31:40PM -0500, Michael D. Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I realize that this may not be the place to post this question, but
> hopefully one of you may be able to point me in the right direction...
>
> I have created over 100 pages through the usage of perl.  Anyway, it is
> a series of pages that are all linked together to show pictures.  I am
> trying to put a pull down menu on the page that has the full list of
> images and the value of each entry is the name of the associated page.
> I am trying to get it so that when you select an item in the pull down
> menu, it will take you to that page.  I have found code that will do it
> for radial buttons, but I can not find anything for pull down menus.  I
> do not wish to have a submit button and would like it to go to that page
> when an item is selected.  Is it possible to have it set up in straight
> html and not through perl to go there.  I have compiled this to run on
> all computers without perl capabilities.  That way, I can compile a CD
> and ship it out.  The only solution that I can think of is Java-Script.
> If anyone knows of a solution or where I can find it, please let me
> know.

I believe you are correct.  The only way to have a list selection jump
directly to another page without a submit button is to use JavaScript.
However, you might want to consider people who have JavaScript turned off
or are not using JavaScript browsers.  You could have a link to a separate
page with a list of simple links to all the other pages.

If you're asking _how_ to do this in JavaScript, the best way might be to
find a page on the web that has this feature, and look at the source.

By the way, >100 is a lot of items for a single menu.  Are you sure it
wouldn't be better just to have a page of links in the first place?  What
do you gain from the fancy list approach?

Ronald