Re: [MacPerl] OT: Printing Many Files

At 15:52 +0100 6/25/99, Alan Fry wrote:
>One positive thing that emerges from all this is that with MacPerl you
>could always go through a folder and, if a file was type TEXT, change the
>creator to 'R*ch' temporarily, send it to AS for printing and restore it
>afterwards. I'm not sure how you would control the flow -- can you get a
>signal back from AS that printing is done I wonder?

If it's a SimpleText document with styles or with embedded pictures, it was
just printed as plain text in whatever font/size one has set up for BBEdit
to default to for printing.  (My BBEdit displays by default in MPW-9, and
until just now when I "fixed" it after checking printed in Monaco-9...it
now prints in Courier-9.  Yours probably doesn't.)

That result might be right...it might also be "surprising".

On the other hand, you might want to treat type 'ttro' (the SimpleText read
only document with the "newspaper" icon) as an additional form of text file.

As to knowing when printing has finished...not directly:  you may be able
to tell that printing is *almost* finished by peeking into the directory
which is what a Desktop Printer really is.  If desktop printing isn't in
use, you can get a clue from whether the application doing the printing has
terminated (but only if it wasn't running when printing started, and only
if it DOES quit).

   --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA