Re: [MacPerl] installing libraries in mac perl

Chris Nandor wrote:
>I said _aside from_ the README.  I think we have discussed the README file
>to death.  Are their any other documents which are part of the standard
>distribution which are included in MacPerl which you think should be
>changed?  If all of this fuss is raised over just the README, that seems
>kinda silly to me, especially when I already said I'd be OK with having it
>moved to another location.

Yes the MacPerlFAQ

and

wherever you read about perl (including the docs) you will be given a
reference to a man page which has an entirely different name in the MacPerl
help menu, which then requires you to look through the documentation until
you can find what the corresponding MacPerl doc is. Simple, quick and easy
this is not (until you do it enough that you've memorised which doc is
which).

Matt Longford wrote:
>Great!  Now we're getting somewhere.  I see where you're coming from.  All
>of these uses are minor, secondary, and fully worthy of shoving this
>information way way into some labyrinthine maze of folders--how about
>docs/legacy/ or something like that.  I don't see a reason to put this
>info in the top level directory,.................

Or alternatively put it on a web site where those in the know can download
it, much in the same way the all-new, more complete, more relevant MacPerl
docs are now ;>(just pulling your leg Chris)

R J Kimball wrote:
>Oh, come on.  This is a programming environment.  It's not a word processor
>or a drawing program.  It doesn't even have fancy wizards, startup tips, or
>tutorials.  Anyone who wants to use MacPerl *must* be able to cope with
>documentation.  There is no way around that.
Sure. Nodoubts about it, but if the docs aren't crystal clear, or give
confusing info of which the READMEs was an example (look back and see what
caused the original poster to write
" installing libraries in mac perl") and the change of doc names in the
Help Menu, as opposed to how they are listed in PerlToc (which seems to go
against your argument , ie why change anything cos then it aint perl), then
they (the docs)are slightly less useful and harder to cope with. Whatever
you may think - if you can ignore READMEs and  PerlFunc which give
instructions not relevant to the box you're working on, I'm sure you can
ignore the extra info which maybe useful to someome else, n'e ce pas? :-)