[MacPerl] Unix daemons in Perl on MacOS?

Jonathan Eisenzopf ends his regular "Mother of Perl" column:

http://webreference.com/perl/tutorial/9/

which is on the subject of writing Unix daemon processes in Perl,

with a the following plaint:

> Maybe someone who has a Mac will send me a version that will run on MacOS.

Okay, I'm admittedly sckeptical that there even *is* such a beast.
However, there's the possiblity of a copy of "Mastering Algorithms in
Perl" (which I really need and really can't afford), to spur me on.

So...  To tackle this, the closest I can come conceptually is a "faceless
background app".

Jon's example is a simple daemon that prints "hello" to the console every
five seconds or so. Since there's no console on the Mac (outside of just
sending the output to STDOUT in MacPerl), and we WANT the application to
remain hidden when it's not doing it's thing, I suspect MacPerl::Answer
to be a fair workaround.

Aside from that, the application has to hand back control to other
running apps when it's not active (sound's like a Mac Toolbox job to me).

I've no code yet, but I'm hoping to get some sort of discussion going
here to give me ideas of where to go with this.

--B

Brian McNett, Webmaster