[MacPerl] CGI.pm question

I notice that the version of CGI.pm that comes with the MacPerl
distribution I have is 2.36, while Lincoln Stein is already up to 2.56 up
in CPAN. (Sorry if this has been asked before, but...) What is the most
recent version of CGI.pm that people have had success with (assuming that
it causes no problems to download CGI.pm.tar.gz, use suntar or similar and
macgzip to untar it, and replace the old version with the new?) 2.56
seemed to create many error messages just on loading, but I'm not
experienced with CGI, yet... I suspect it requires 5.005 anyway and intend
to find out. I suspect even worse that I didn't untar it properly...
*sigh*)
Mildly confused, but still interested in knowing what happens when people
load more recent versions of CGI.pm (yes, I kept the old one, of course,
in a very separate directory in case)-Eric Schissel