Re: [MacPerl] Basic Question

At 10:45 +0200 09/08/2000, Bart Lateur wrote:
>Please state the nature of these differences.

I wish I could just cut and paste the format here, but that doesn't
seem to work. Basically on the 'healthy' PDB I see a solid block of
"FF"s from about 0130 to about 0890. On the 'unhealthy' PDB I see
other characters mixed in with the "FF"s. Also the healthy ones have
a simple name of the database imbedded in the top, the unhealthy one
has a complete Mac path (with colon's and all).

Another detail I had previously left unmentioned. The reason I know
that some are "unhealthy" is that although the script runs through to
completion when I try to install the file the conduit (installer)
complains with an error '4114'. I wrote to Palm support and they had
all sorts of strange (and useless) suggestions. For example, they
told me to change the connection speed, which only caused it to take
longer before the software reported the error.

>And I agree with Ronald Kimball in his comment on this code: yikes.
>Somebody obviously hasn't discovered pack() yet. Handcrafted
>big-endian integers, padding strings to a fixed length by hand,
>printing one character at a time... shudder.

Remember I received the script from someone else. I can see about
streamlining it another time.

>But: let's focus on what doesn't work right, first.

My thoughts too ...
--
-- Chip <http://chipg.com>