Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl plan for OSX

Chris wrote:

>On Mac OS X, there is not much use for MacPerl, except to script the
>Classic environment.  However, there could be significant use for the
>MacPerl toolbox modules, and those could be ported to Carbon / Mac OS X.
>That is a much easier task than building MacPerl, and the source is all
>there, so almost anyone could work on it.  However, before it is done,
>interface issues should be worked out so the proper framework is in place
>for moving forward.
>
>That covers only the Carbon API; some people will doubtless want to cover
>the Cocoa (Rhapsody/Yellow Box/etc.) API.  TipTop already has a product for
>this (http://www.tiptop.com/), but I don't know if it is still being
>supported (there hasn't been a release in awhile, with no mention of DR4 or
>the public beta on the page).  But we could in theory write our own without
>too much work, since both Perl and Objective C are dynamic.  That would be
>really cool.

I have been scanning the manuals for Perl/Tk (Tcl/Tk, too) on occasion.
Anyone got any thoughts on Perl/Tk for Apple BSD? Should I just try
downloading and compiling it and see what happens?

(I refuse to call it Mac. It's great, it's cool, it feels like Apple, and
it reads Mac volumes. It needs a lot of time before it's as mature a user
interface as the Mac. I like it. It is not Mac, at least not yet. It
doesn't seem to be Next, either. Let's call it Apple BSD.)

Joel Rees