Re: [MacPerl] editors

My preferred format is .pl (BBEDIT) so I can ftp to it from another site
or readily import source (with pretty formating) into my editor.
I don't 'hate' macperl's editor, but I never use it on purpose.
I spend abot half my life on UNIX and half on teh Mac. I'm trying to
get all my scripts so they will on either platform so I can cut and paste
functions with little regard to the 'from' or 'to.'

As I see it Perl is the cross platform equivalent to the web browsers.
Given how well MacPerl works, I think we're onto something.  Imagine
what it would have been like if Bill Atkinson had chosed perl as the script
lang.
for WildCard (Hypercard)?

I've used Hypercard and tried to port that to a PC.  XCMDs, which provided
for TCP support, serial interface, etc. were the saviour and the downfall.
I've used Apple Media Tool and did port that to a PC, however that was a pain!
And the project was never completed.
I've used c/c++ to write platform independent code, but the
graphical interfaces and the toolbox is a problem.
The web solves that. And perl (later Java) will provide a  backend.

I've been looking for a workable cross platform environment for years.
The web and perl solve two thirds of the solution.
Java may solve the problem of moving the cpu cycles out to the users
workstation
away from the central server. and some crossplatform stuff too.

What do you do at Apple? I left in '90 after 5 years in the local (LA)
sales office,
because I didn't want to transfer up to Cupertino.