Re: [MacPerl] We're all Macperlers on this bus...

At 13.29 -0500 1998.06.15, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>Not  me.  Especially not with the moderated newsgroup coming within a few
>weeks.  The vote is going on right now.

Agreed.  I will be moderating the group should it be successful in its
vote.  I am on #perl on IRC, perl5-porters, comp.lang.perl.moderated ...
and mac-perl, of course.  That is plenty for me.  :-)

>}   1) newgrsoups are not my thing; I want information to come _to me_.
>}      It's mid 1998, we have the technology, we don't have the time.
>
>For me it depends on the volume.  Beyond a certain volume, I'd rather
>use a newsreader with kill/select files.  (This list doesn't reach
>that volume, and a more general purpose MacPerl list probably wouldn't
>either.)

I like Usenet readers for most larger-volume stuff, too.  MT-NewsWatcher is
a great program.

>}   2) signal to noise ratio on Usenet is poor; on this list it's generally
>}      been quite satisfactory
>}
>}   3) light to heat ratio on comp.lang.perl.misc is abyssmal; people on the
>}      macperl list are generally polite and on-topic.
>
>For both of these, the usual problem is people asking FAQ's, for which
>the answers are easily available if the asker would only bother to
>look.  That could happen on a mailing list too.

And hopefully it won't happen on clp.moderated.

>} *Alternatively, maybe it's time to reconsider broadening the
>} Mac-specific-only ground rules.  A little :-)
>
>I wouldn't mind that, either.

The problem is twofold, I think:

1.  People apparently leave the list when we discuss non-MacPerl stuff.
2.  When we allow MacPerl stuff, we run the risk of increasing what I think
is a comfortable traffic level (which also, in turn, causes people to leave
the list).

I am not necessarily opposed to it, however.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])