Re: [MacPerl] How to get ethernet addr macperl?

At 7:56 AM -0500 12/17/98, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 06.14 -0500 1998.12.17, jean-michel meyer wrote:
>>>How can one get the mac's ethernet hardware address using macperl?  I've
>>>searched the macperl mailing list archives and the pod's, but I haven't
>>>bumped into anything yet.  Any ideas?
>>
>>If i well understand, you want to get the IP address of a mac connect via
>>it's ethernet port to a internet/intranet network, isn't it ?
>
>No, the ethernet hardware address, or MAC address (which has nothinig to do
>with Mac OS or Macintosh), is something different than IP address.  A MAC
>address never changes, and should be unique, IIRC.  I don't know how to get
>it programmatically, though.  I know you can go to your TCP/IP control
>panel (if TCP/IP is connecting through Ethernet) and do Get Info, and the
>information is there.

After a bit of research, I found
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/NetworkingOT/NetworkingWOT-383.html#MARK
ER-9-42

which describes the Internet Interface Information Structure.  You can get
such a structure from the OTInetGetInterfaceInfo function.  This structure
includes:

fHWAddrLen
    The length (in bytes) of the hardware address. This points into the
fReserved field of this structure.  It can be nil if the interface has no
hardware address or if it won't fit.

fHWAddr
    A pointer to the hardware address.

So, that looks like what we're talking about.  The question is, how to
access OTInetGetInterfaceInfo from MacPerl.

-Jeff Lowrey