Re: [MacPerl] Filemaker Pro DB

Um 20:05 Uhr +0200 13.09.2000, schrieb Thomas Wegner:
>I' ve recently downloaded DBD::ODBC from CPAN. The distribution
>contains .xs and .h files. This normally indicates that the module
>has to be ported to or at least compiled for the Mac (see
><http://pudge.net/macperl/macperlmodinstall.html>). Because it can't
>be found on http://pudge.net/mmp/, we are out of luck, I guess (until
>someone does the port, of course).

Well - I'm thinking about it.
I doubt though whether accessing FM Pro via ODBC is effecitve
nor possible from remote. Perhaps somebody on the list can grab
out the manual and report about experiences.

ODBC support for the Mac is still dreadful.
Oracle captain and (once?) member of the Apple board Larry Ellison
some years ago promised the release of all Oracle software for Apple
machines. Try to get a Mac ODBC driver for Oracle!
Or try to connect from MS Office applications with remote
databases ...

Ideally I would like to see a DBD::ProxyServer running on Macs,
connecting via (?) to FM Pro.
This on the other hand would need to have Storable, Net-Daemon,
PlRPC + DBD::ODBC/DBD::FMPro or DBD::Glue::FMpro
(german readers may read the iX article http://www.heise.de/ix/artikel/2000/10/176/ )

It's a pity that Mac database programmers live in such a limited
world.

Cheerio

Axel

P.S.: Sorry for complaining about non MacPerl issues.