Re: [MacPerl] We're all Macperlers on this bus...

I'd like to present some opinions about MacPerl and the list:

  *  As MacPerl grows in popularity, we will all benefit (more
     MacPerl programmers means better MacPerl support, etc.)

  *  MacPerl's growth must draw from the current Mac population.

  *  Most Mac users are not programmers.  At all.  Even to the
     level of using command-line interfaces.  (That's why they
     have Macs. :-)  So, PTF's MacPerl book assumes that the
     reader may well know little or nothing about programming.

  *  A novice MacPerl user should have a more "polite" place to
     hang out than c.l.p.m.  Sure, they should be told to look
     in the MacPerl book, PODs, etc., but *nicely*.  And, if a
     new (or old :-) MacPerl user occasionally asks a question
     that isn't specific to MacPerl, that's OK.

  *  Thus, the MacPerl list should try to accomodate the needs
     of novices AND experts, while maintaining its current
     (polite, noise-free) character.

  *  If the number of novice questions gets too large, a second
     group (e.g., mac-perl-wizards) should be formed.  Novices
     will be more than welcome to lurk on m-p-w, but should not
     post there until they have done their homework.

-r

Rich Morin, Canta Forda Computer Laboratory | Prime Time Freeware - quality
  UNIX consulting, training, and writing    | freeware at affordable prices
  P.O. Box 1488, Pacifica, CA, 94044, USA   | www.ptf.com      info@ptf.com
  rdm@cfcl.com            +1 650-873-7841   | +1 408-433-9662   -0727 (Fax)