Re: [MacPerl] We're all Macperlers on this bus...

At 13:23 Uhr -0700 15.06.1998, Vicki Brown wrote:
>I have no particular interest in starting a general purpose list. And my
>preference would be not to start a new list at all, but to enhance the one
>we have.
>
>I want a MacPerl list on which a MacPerl user who is writing a script in
>MacPerl does not have to worry about the fine distinction of whether his or
>her question could just as readily have been asked of a script
>written/running under Unix Perl and if so, wonder whether or not to ask it.
>My preference would be for the determining factor to be _I use MacPerl_
>rather than _and my question cannot possibly apply anywhere but on a
>Macintosh_.

Exactly the problem I have as somebody who doesn't know nothing about UNIX
boxes.

>My guess is that by restructuring the criteria for postings to
>(Mac)Perl-related rather than Mac(Perl)-specific we could win a lot without
>losing too much.  We spend as much time telling people their questions
>aren't germaine as we might answering them!

For me, this is the direction to be taken.
And I suggest that people like Chris, Matthias, Paul and others don't have
to feel compelled to answer every RTFM-question that comes up. I answered a
couple of these questions off the list in the past, in an effort to reduce
tensions. We need these people to deal with the real hard stuff.

Peter

Peter Hartmann
Visiting Scholar
Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan