Re: [MacPerl] Announce: macperl-scribes email list

At 21:21 -0500 2/19/00, Larry Moore wrote:
>At 16:50 -0800 19/02/2000, Rich Morin wrote:
>>At 7:41 PM -0500 2/19/00, Larry Moore wrote:
>>>To: majordomo@macperl.org
>>
>>Whoops!  It looks like you should be using:
>>
>>   To: macperl-scribes-request@macperl.org
>>   From: your email address
>>
>>   subscribe
>>
>Looks like there's more than one way to do that too :-) This way worked and
>the other also. Smart majordomo. :-)

It's typical to set Majordomo up so that listname-request@... works, as
does majordomo@....  The other typical way is to omit the listname-request
alias and require the Majordomo address be used.  The listname-request is
handled by an alias which pipes the message to Majordomo with a command
line flag which specifies the list.  In the absence of the flag, Majordomo
expects the list name in the command line(s) in the message (there is a
majordomo alias which pipes to Majordomo without the list name flag).

And for good measure, you can specify a list name in a command to a
listname-request address.  ;-)  If you do that and the list names differ,
the command in the body of the message "wins".  [Just tested with a couple
of lists I run.]

   --John (there's some rather "interesting" Perl code in Majordomo)

To be complete, I note that the piping is actually to a small C program
which "wraps" Majordomo, making it safer...a parameter to the wrapper is
the program name which is to be run, and wrapper knows where that program
is.  I believe the wrapper goes away in Majordomo 2, which may yet be
released before the "true" change of decade/century/millennium.  Or may not.
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA